The SEG has announced that Dr Roy McG Miller has been honoured with his appointment as the SEG Regional VP Lecturer for 2014-201. The SEG annually confers honours upon members of the geological profession and/or allied professions, who in the opinion of the Council have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of economic geology.
Dr Miller is a distinguished Fellow of the GSSA. He completed his high school education at Prince Edward School in Zimbabwe in 1957 before studying at the University of Cape Town where he obtained his BSC Honours, MSc and PhD degrees in geology. His PhD thesis, The geology of a portion of southern Damaraland, South West Africa, with particular reference to the petrogenesis of the Salem granite, saw the start of his life’s work in Namibia. Following a post-doctoral Fellowship at the University of Göttingen, he joined the Geological Survey of Namibia in 1966 and acted as its Director from 1981 to 1992. Roy was the Technical Manager of the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (NAMCOR) between buy clomid online 1992 and 1998, after which he became a consulting geologist.
The following brief summary of some of Roy’s achievements does not do justice to the immense contribution Roy made to our understanding of the geology and geological evolution of Namibia:
- Planning and supervision of the 1980 1:1 000 000 Geological map of Namibia;Initiation and editing of the GSSA Special Publication, the Evolution of Damara Orogenof SWA/Namibia;
- Planning and compilation of the1:500 000 Geological Map of the Damara Orogen;
- Namibian coordinator and main contributor on Namibian geology for the Stratigraphy of Southern Africa, Handbook No 8 of the Geological Survey of South Africa;
- Member of the Diamond Board of Namibia from 1982 to 1992;
- Roy served on a number of Namibian governmental boards and committees. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Precambrian Research Unit, Geochemistry Research Unit and Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cape Town. He is a Fellow of the GSSA and an Honorary Life Member of the Geological Society of Namibia and a Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation of Germany.